Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Oh boy.. [shaking head]

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
Well I do know.. since we laughed... apparently we should have been crying.
[rolling eyes loudly]

My brother and I met up with the lady priest who is doing the service at my mom's funeral on friday. I have never met a more solemn and sad looking person in my life.
She oozed grief.
I kid you not.

Now I need to set a few things straight before I ramble further.
Yes, it is a terribly tragic event to lose one's mother.
Yes, I have had a good cry about it.
But no, I refuse to wallow.
We refuse to wallow.
In fact my mom would be kicking our sorry asses if we were to wallow.
We are focusing on the good times, fun memories.
So we choose to laugh and smile.

This apparently is a strange attitude in our country.
By nature we Finns tend to be melancholic pessimists.
I'm told.
Heh.
Soooo...
Once we shook hands and she turned around to take us into her office, we looked at each other with very raised eyebrows, a smirk and the idea of which one of us would reach the door screaming first...
Through the interview she must have thought we were nuts.
All smiles and laughter.
Not a kleenex in sight.

And another thing.
We won't be wearing black.
Nope.
No way.
We'll wear colors and smiles and bring bright happy flowers.
And after the service at the well...reception of sorts (coffee etc served), we'll have a slideshow on a laptop of 50 photos of my mom.
I'll upload a few of my favorites here later.

Now, in other news:
there are new items in my Etsy shop.
Feel free to browse :o)

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:57 PM

    sad priests always make the service that much more difficult. i like the uplifting ones who focus on positive things.

    good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your attitude and i can picture you giggling in the office.
    Would love to see the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:02 PM

    there must be two types of finns - cuz I can fall quite neatly into your category...and so can a good portion of my family. But then there's the other half of my family who are very much as you described the rest of the country. ;)

    Be yourself.
    your mother understands.

    eta: I hate that it takes me 3 trys to nail down word verification. v's? u's? I can never tell....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:15 PM

    ROFL ...from what I remember, you are NOT the typical Finn ! I remember most of them wearing black ALL the time. I know if will be a wonderful celebration of your mom's life ...she'll be smiling down on all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Mom is proud of you! :)
    I think the sadness and empathy of the priest should be directly related to what you NEED not what they think you need, but that's just my opinion.
    cups half full.. that's my motto.
    and GOOD FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to several funerals that have been called celebrations -- as in "Celebration of the life of xxxx" And the service was just that-- a celebration of her life-- all the fun memories, funny stories, lots and lots of pictures and uplifting songs and hymns. Sounds like you will do just that--celebrate all the good your Mom brought to you -- and sounds like that is just what she would have wanted!

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)