Friday, May 08, 2015

Allotment, April 25th to May 3rd

April 25th.
The rhubarb is coming up.

While I worked at the front where flowers will be planted, Mika built me some raised beds.
These are 3x3 feet, that is 92x92cm.
I did  a lot of studying over the winter (just in case) and decided that square foot gardening was the way to go. This summer I'll have ten of these beds.

April 26th.
My seedlings needed repotting.
Perfect time to watch gardening programs :)

Alan Titchmarsh's Love Your Garden.
I urge you to check it out.
Good stuff.
Like Extreme Makeover Home Edition, but for gardens.

I try to avoid disturbing the delicate roots of these babies and so this is what I use.
The pellets pop up once wet, and once the roots come through those I use the peat pots I can then just pop in the ground.

The sweet peas needed some help, so I made curlicues from wire.

I cut some Coke bottles to make small cloches.

I drilled a few holes on top.
These house broccolis.. I'm not sure how or even if they will turn out, they are so spindly...

I used the bottoms too.



These will get planted in these tiny greenhouses, but outside...

May 3rd.
Sun. Finally.
We've gotten quite a bit of rain during the week.
In fact my feet kept sinking in to the soil (read: mud) while laying out the newspaper that will be the weed barrier under the new soil.

Oh, they do look pretty, don't they.
(that sky gave us some hail about 90 minutes later... Spring in Finland: all seasons in a matter of five hours.)

Out with the old...

...in with the new.
I'm looking forward to it weathering some though.

I have spent a ridiculous amount of hours sorting out this front bit.
Digging out weeds, moving random plants from all over the lot. Like those daffodils.. there's about 20 of them, randomly popping up here and there. I decided they needed to be together.
I've also added compost soil and sand to help with the clay.

Look at that rhubarb now!

Platform sneakers of mud.
And as you can see.. dandelion minefield...

Next on the agenda: soil.
And actual planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh do tell :)