Saturday, March 25, 2006

Treasures

As I took the newspaper to my mom this morning, I found her going through some old photo albums. Now I LOVE old photos. The older, the better. These albums once belonged to my great aunt, my grandmother's big sister.


That's her on the left, she must be about 18 in this photo.

I'm not sure I had ever even heard of her before.
But I looked through these albums with a smile on my face.

This is a woman who never married, a true life spinster.
I have a album with four pages of pictures of her gentleman friends.
*grin*
I think I would have liked her.
This was all happening in the 1920's and 1930's.
When it was customary for people to go to a studio to get their portraits taken.
All very serious business.

Aren't they handsome?
My only problem is that the photos are glued down. And I mean GLUED. With some 1950's rubber cement I think. STUCK FOR GOOD.
Does anyone know of a product that might help?

I also found these photos of my grandparents, my mom's parents, Eeva and Paavo.

In other news. We were all supposed to go to a 8th birthday party today, but instead only Mika and Saara went (I made the host promise to pack me a slice of cake... she was making a chocolate cake with mint sweets on top..aaahhh). Last night Niina woke up with ahigh fever. This morning it measured at 38,7C/101,6F. Poor baby. It came down with some medicine, but she's napping on the couch as I'm typing this, so I know she's sick. Hopefully it'll clear fast.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of your relatives. I love genealogy - my own and others, too.
    I found your blog because I am the party girl Elizabeth's mother.
    Beverly from Ohio, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanna,
    Maybe try this stuff:
    http://store.scrapbook.com/unadremb4ozb.html
    I redid a lot of my great-grandmother's photos a couple of years ago and this remover worked on many of the photos -- I don't know about rubber cement, though... Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)