Wondering what a preschool assistant does during her four hour day?
No two days are alike, but as an example: here's today...
Arrive at 8.00.
Turn on lights.
Check my email, as my home computer was acting wonky this morning.
Chat with Meghan a bit, before letting the monkeys in at 8.15 ;o)
Tell kids to get out their snacks and library books. Normally Friday is our library day, but as we are going to the theatre tomorrow, we switched days.
I have a few kids looking at me with wild eyes- no library books...
I sit on a tiny chair while the kids who brought their books, return them, wait for me to find the appropriate cards and send them off to get three new books.
I then sign out the new books for them.
And write five reminder notes to return books on Monday, please.
Meghan starts the class (she was testing kids on their transportation words during library) and I do some filing and write out names on outgoing newsletters. Kids move to circle time and I draw circles on red paper for ladybird wings for next week. I then prep for today's craft (Thursday is craft day). The kids painted beautiful butterflies yesterday and have to cut them out today and glue a popsicle stick to the back. I get out the white glue, try find popsicle sticks, until Meghan saves me from the craft-cupboards-of-doom and points to the kitchen/office where she already has them out (she found them in the box marked 'square colored cardstock'...sigh). Distribute to each table.
Cut out said ladybird wings, while kids get crafting.
Clean up after the messy white glue.
Wonder about the one kid who is so slow to finish his work, that he didn't get to start his snack until there was only two minutes left. I then clean up after a messy snacktime... I mean pistachios??? In their shells... OY!
Have one kid tell me she forgot to get her new library books as she was busy being silly this morning. Deal with three new books taken out.
Realize I in fact have time to cover some new library books. There's a basket full just waiting for these moments of free time. I got five covered today.
Help kids with gloves and shoelaces (yay for velcro) as they leave.
Finish covering those five books.
Open the door for our handyman/technical work teacher who came to put together the new shelves we had ordered. I can't wait for tomorrow morning to see those shelves.. the old so called shelves sucked. Big time.
Told Niina to get ready and got dressed myself.
Walked up the stone steps. Haven't counted them, but by the time you reach the top, you are out of breath and your knees are begging for mercy.
Go inside the 'big school' with the Primary 2 kids.
Take the beasts to lunch. (it's interesting how many times you have to leave your lunch to go tell someone to behave) Today's lunch was beef sauce with potatos and salad.
My day ends with recess duty with the kids.
I'm out free 12.15pm.
PS. I found a dress for the wedding today!!!!
You mean you have the energy to post all of that after doing all of that and you tease us at the end by saying I found a dress for the wedding and DON'T even show us??? Shame on you!
ReplyDeletepicture of dress? coughcough? hmm...
ReplyDeleteSounds like the job agrees with you. I'm glad you're having fun, exhausting though, isn't it?