Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mini escape

Hubby and I took a mini escape.
Just the two of us.
Yup, we left the girls home on their own.

 We hopped on a cruise ship to Stockholm.
We ate well.
And rested.
A lot.
I jumped aboard after two days of fever.
Hubby got the cold a day later...
Not a lot of partying went down :P


Here are a few reasons why I love our Swedish counterpart (aka nation's capitol):

It is pedestrian friendly.
We walked 9 kilometers on Sunday.
Most of it snail pace with frequent coughing breaks.
The drivers respect the pedestrian crossings, unlike sadly in my city...
We walked from the ship to Slussen, through the Old Town did some shopping on Drottningsgatan and then walked a little here and a little there before heading back.
And taking a nap.

There are cafés everywhere.
In fact I dare you to take 50 steps and not find a café, especially in the Old Town.
 
 You find art in unexpected places.
These sentences ran up Drottningsgatan, part of a street art project.
Really made you think too...

Outdoor marketplace.
Buckets of tulips. Nothing better.

The sea is present and accounted for.
I love a seaside city.

Gamla Stan, the Old Town.
 The lovely buildings.
The narrow alleys.
Ignore the tourist shops, there are some hidden gems in there.
You can spend an entire day here.
 

And there are amazing cafés.
Each competing on the size of their cinnamon buns.

We sat in a lovely windowless basement snug as bugs and couldn't finish our giant cinnamon buns...

I never get tired of going back.

 ===================================================================================


This post was brought to you courtesy of a fun project called
Lists with friends 2014.
A project that documents this year with lists of all kind.

2 comments:

  1. Such cool photos! I want to go ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so nice.
    I love seaside, pedestrian friendly cities, too!

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)