Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Rhubarb, rhubarb and then some more rhubarb

Last year I split and replanted my rhubarbs and consequently got none.
This year they are coming up like crazy.
Plus there's the rhubarb from the allotment.

I've been trying out several rhubarb pie and muffin recipes.
This one with apples was pretty amazing.

I'm freezing a bunch, so that once strawberry season arrives (it will take a while, it's been a cool June), I have some ready for jam.

Even so.
It's coming in the windows and doors as the saying here goes.

So my cousin tipped me off on rhubarb infused vodka.
Oh hello!

What you need are glass jars, rhubarb, sugar and vodka.

Chop it up.

Add to jar, every 4cm (1½ inch) sprinkle lightly with sugar. 

Then fill with vodka.

Screw on the lid and let sit in room temperature, but not in direct sunlight, for a month.
Turn the jar occasionally.
After a month, strain, bottle and chill.
I'll let you know how this turns out.
Mine have been brewing for two weeks now.

I'm thinking that left over strained rhubarb might be pretty good on (adults only) ice cream...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh do tell :)