Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Flashback

I was out taking my walk just now and came across a house that was being torn down. I'm not sure what it was, the smell of the old insulation or other building materials from the 1950's but it smelled just like my grandmother's house.

So very odd.

My nose took me about 30 years back. To memories of my cousin and I fresh out of the sauna mid winter. The sauna was in a separate building and we walked the 10 meters or so up the stairs in the snow to get back in to the house. My grandma would clothe us to look like Michelin men for those few steps. I so clearly remember the discomfort of having on my pyjamas, woollen cardigans and probably two coats to boot and having to sit inside for a good quarter of an hour like that. And that house was warm. It was always at least 25C/77F, summer or winter. My point being that we were already red with the heat from the sauna... she never did know about the importance of cooling down afterwards.

But all was well soon enough when we finally got to toss those coats aside and eat sweet buns and drink strawberry juice.
And if we were really lucky she made us crepes, thick lovely crepes. Served with sugar and strawberry jam.

I might just have to make some jam this week.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:51 AM

    I get flashbacks all the time from smelling stuff! Yours sounded really nice (even though I hate being too warm when I don't have to). Do you even get snow in the winters these days? We hardly do...

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)