Wednesday, November 07, 2007

no. here? never... can't be...

Those thoughts were going through my head as I sat in rush hour traffic and listened to the bus driver's radio.

Today an 18 year old boy, went to his high school (middle school + high school) and shot the principal and seven kids. He is in critical condition himself after turning the gun on himself.

This 30 kilometers away.
Here.
This is the kind of thing that happens in Columbine.
Or Virginia Tech.
Over there.
Far away.
Not here.
Not at home.
Not in our safe secure corner of the world.

Needless to say our secure safe corner feels less safe tonight.

I have a scared 12 year old.
She is so lucky to have great friends and caring teachers at school tomorrow morning.
It'll be a tough morning tomorrow.

Now go and hug your kids.

//////////////////////////////////

Ajatukset ovat Jokelan koulun tapahtumissa.
Eiköhän kaikki halata muksujamme tänä iltana.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Suski I am so, so sorry about what has happened. I am shocked as you are, although it is easier when you are an ocean away from the horror. Please tell your girls we are thinking of them. Huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:50 AM

    i thought of you and your girls when i saw the news. hugs from this side if the ocean to.((((HUGS))))
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just coming over to comment on these happenings and wishing that you weren´t effected directly! It is crazy. I was thinking the same thing you did: is it really coming here now?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So scary. :(

    How hard for your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:43 PM

    Suski,
    Just heard the news ...so very frightening for you all. Haley & I had the same first reaction you did ...in Finland?? our safe Finland?? never!

    you are all in our thoughts ...hope Saara makes it through the day OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when I heard that news, that was my same thought. That doesn't happen over there. Here, yes...but not over there. Huge hugs...that's not a good feeling when it comes so close to home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:36 AM

    Ei voi uskoa että tämä tapahtui Suomessa!

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)