Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Autumn thoughts...

Saara was outside with her BFF doing biology homework (they have to pick plant leaves and identify them) some days back, when she told me there was a woodpecker up our pine.
I wish I had an even bigger zoom.. he was just sooo high up..


I'm by no means a birdwatcher, but there are some I wait to show up. These guys tend to come this time of year for the rowan berries. You know they have arrived when you hear this "srrrrrrrr...srrr..srrrrrrrr" sound.


I love their English name: Bohemian Waxwing :)
Tilhi in Finnish.




Driving back from my bro's new place a week ago, I realized that once I got home I would have to dash and get my camera and go catch the golden light.



Darkening autumn evenings yield unexpected reflections..


But the days can offer awesome skies..


And snowy countryside views.

Yes i took a photo while driving.. no, I don't recommend it, but I was driving slowly on a empty country road. Just stuck the camera on AV mode and clicked..

Raking.. a neverending job in October.
Once I got the front yard raked, the next day I woke up to this


It had been a very cold night and once the sun came out, our big birch decided to drop ALL its leaves in a matter of two hours.

It was literally raining leaves.
Very hard to take a photo of, but you kinda see it here.. just follow the arrows :)


And then the morning after that it rains...


And then the next morning it snows...

October doesn't seem to be able to make up it's mind.
Well, it's almost November...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:16 AM

    Great pictures!

    -Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one picture is a little eerie. We call those birds, which we rarely see, Cedar Waxwings. They are beautiful, aren't they?
    We have trees with little frigging leaves and it literally seems like its snowing leaves so many dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kiva nähdä miten syksy etenee siellä. mun vanhemmat näki massoittain kuolleita tilhiä. ehkä marjat oli jo pakkasen vuoksi päässeet pahasti käymään? kummallista ja kurjaa. niin ovat nättejä.

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)