Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rainbows, shamrocks and a leprechaun..?

It has to be St. Patrick's Day, right?
Happy St. Pat's!
The greenest day of the year :D

I'll share a few related things we've done with our 1st graders, easy and fun projects you could craft with your kids too!

In the afternoon club, we made rainbows to hang on our windows.


These were painted onto to sturdy watercolor paper with watercolors, then we punched holes onto each stripe and attached yarn in the corresponding color.
Topped those with clouds cut from small paper doilies and crepe paper.
They look so pretty.
And the kids learned the order of the colors to boot.
Yesterday in art class we made shamrock trees.

First the kids painted different shades of green onto a paper.


While it dried, they drew a tree trunk on another paper.
Then on the backside of the painted paper, they drew three leaved shamrocks and one four leaved one.


Once cut out, they were the leaves of the tree.



Love how they look.

I had to make one of my own too..
A couple weeks back while the kids were painting rainbows, I had painted a tree trunk just for fun.
All I needed were the shamrocks :)

I bent mine just a bit, so they popped up nicely.


Can you spot my lucky four leaved one?

Today the kids in the club will have found some tiny footprints...

(I'm a little bummed I'm not there to see it, but I had to come home to take care of Niina, who's not feeling well)

(and sorry about the quality of the next photos, they were taken on a mobile phone..)

I believe a leprechaun has visited and hidden lucky shamrocks for the kids to find...

These were made with a heart paper punch, green patterned paper and a piece of yarn.

I do love the tiny footprints all around..



There's even a shamrock hidden in my shamrock tree!

I wonder if anyone found that one...

I'll show you tomorrow how I made those footprints :)

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful projects- maybe we'll have to do a spring tree with some pink around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bet the children had a super time. Love your shamrock tree.

    Toni :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toi sateenkaari idea oli loistava, niin keväinen, täytyypä heti kokeilla töissä tehdä lasten kanssa:)

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)