Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Reader's dozen

 
 Not for the quesy... Molly Lefebure was a secretary for a forensic pathologist in London during WWII. An autobiography, quite interesting to read about how things were before the high tech CSI world.

 I love picking up a book by Marian Keyes. I always find myself reading with a Irish accent..heh.. Her characters are fun and real and she can spin a story every which way! I highly recommend this one. Beneath the excellently funny characters is a story about depression. And a boy band  :P

John Irving is one my favorite authors. This is a sweet story. About love, sex and growing up. About cross-dressing. It had me smiling when I finished it. Literally warm fuzzies. However I do understand that his subject matter isn't for everyone, he never shies away, but tells it like it is.

 This story. 
This story... fascinatingly written as it was told from the viewpoint of different people, but always about one day every year spanning twenty years. Find it, read it.

 Like the title, a strange book. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not when I finished it. I think I was trying to interprit it too much. Overthinking it. Good read though.

 One of my pet peeves.. books with the film poster as cover art. Nearly put me off from the start. Plus once they describe the characters, you come and look at the cover and go: "BUT THEY LOOK NOTHING LIKE THIS!!!" I spent a lot of time trying to shake off Josh Duhamel's face from my head while reading. Captivating book. Just don't do what I did and watch the film (after I had read the book), it left me soooo annoyed. They turned a good book into a mediochre chick flick. Blech.

 Yes, another Marian Keyes! Hilarious. I don't know what magic she has.. all this funny stuff in a book basically about domestic violence. I think that is the reason I like her books, there is always that serious under current amidst the laughs. The only thing that bugged me about this book, was that they chose different fonts for different chapters, depending on from whose view point it was. Not the different fonts as such, more the font choices... I'm such a font snob.

 I'm always ready to pick up a Comissario Brunetti book by Donna Leon. One: they are set in Venice.. you can't go wrong with Venice. Two: great food is eaten and wine at lunch is a must. Three: they are good mystery books. Just don't read them when you are hungry...

========================================================================================
 


This post was brought to you courtesy of a fun project called
Lists with friends 2014.
A project that documents this year with lists of all kind.

4 comments:

  1. Adding books to my list...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:06 PM

    I need to check out Marian Keyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:34 PM

    oh awesome.. will put these on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got Safe Haven saved on the PVR but haven't watched it, or read the book. Maybe I won't watch it then! I normally love Nicholas Sparks books, but dislike the movie version.

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)