Friday already.
The week did fly by. Our days and most evenings were fully scheduled.
We were quite tired at this point.
That morning we used public transportation to go to Oxford.
(that's my "roomie" Inari on the right)
We hopped on a doubledecker thinking the kids would run up to get the great seats up front.
They did run upstairs.
For the back seats...
Teenagers.
I love Oxford.
I came here for the first time in 1989 on my interrail trip.
(My friend Kaarina will remember trying to desperately get me to move from the botanical gardens.)
I've been back three times since then.
First: it is a beautiful city.
I love finding the awesome gargoyles up on the buildings.
(again, looking up..)
Second: bookstores. Glorious bookstores.
Third: Inspector Morse.
Yup.
The former flower shop owner in me can't pass this.
I wish we had more variety in out flower shops in Finland, it really doens't take much to be creative with your choices of color and texture.
There's more than roses and gerber daisies out there.
Yes, it's a cake.
We found Dobby!
We had a tour in Christchurch College.
I'll notice a rainbow flag anywhere :)
If these steps look familiar, they were used in some scenes in the Harry Potter films.
The Dining Hall.
And the details in the Alice window.
We walked in the Cathedral.
I took a nearly identical photo six years ago.
The ladies volunteering to make the flower arrangements for the weekend's services come every Friday. I have to confess, I was watching them work while our guide was telling the kids about the history... throw flowers in the picture and I zone out.
I'm pretty sure the kids missed all of these on the streets.
We sat down for a quick lunch break.
Here's what my lunch looked like most days.
I'd trade the kids to get the salt & vinegar crisps.
Then we headed to one of my favorite shops in Oxford, Blackwell's bookstore.
The front is deceiving.
You walk in and realize it in as deep as the entire building and has two more stories up.
The kids were alotted up to £20 for a book, they had a great section for teenagers.
We agreed on 30 minutes before heading out and letting the kids loose for free shopping time for a few hours.
Let me just tell you that 30 minutes in this place barely scratches the surface.
I could spend half a day in here.
Bookstores do that to me.
I mentioned the two stories up.
Then there's the Norrington room in the basement.
Yes!!!
For real! Four levels of basement.
Bookstore nirvana.
I had to reluctantly leave, with a pile of books, and head for the other shops.
After a while we (some adults and Niina..poor kid, afternoon tea with teachers :P ) headed for a tea room for tea and scones with jam and clotted cream.
Perfection.
On a few evenings during the week after dinner we headed out to the field for some football and outdoor fun.
This rugby lesson was a set up.
Once Steve caught the ball there was a secret plan to tackle.
He never saw it coming...
Luckily he wasn't crushed to death, took in great humor and a severely grass stained shirt.
And then a random photo form the ladies' toilet (that's what they call it in the UK, not rest rooms... my colleage who's lived in the US for years physically shuddered every time we called it a toilet) in The Nag's Head. So very British with the toile wallpaper in pretty pink.
We went out that last evening, all us adults including Heather and her husband, for a lovely Italian dinner.
The food was excellent..
...as was the wine.
We Finns got a kick out of the name.
Imuri= vacuum cleaner.
Inari and I had a very giggly walk back home.
Like I said it had been a long week, and we were tired.
The wine might have helped just a little.
Maybe.







































No comments:
Post a Comment
Oh do tell :)