Sunday, December 10, 2006

Christmas questions

I ws tagged by Ange :o)

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Wrap. Always.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Colored & white outside. Only white inside.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No. Mistletoe isn't a scandinavian thing.

5. When do you put up your decorations?
Some go up on the first advent. Lights go up then (outside lights stay on until mid february to help with the infinite darkness). I add decorations every weekend. We bring the tree (always a live tree) a week before Christmas. It stays until Nuutti's Day which is closer to mid January.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Finnish sweet potato dish.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
My godfather worked as Santa and many a Christmas I'd join him on his route as an elf. It was fun peeking into other families holiday.

8. When and how did you learn that Santa isn't real?
Hmmm... see above.. :o) He's real in our hearts.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Yes. All of them. That's when Santa comes here.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
I have enough to decoarte three or four trees... so I alternate. One year red, one lots of color, one year silver... whatever I'm feeling.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it. As long as I don't have to shovel it all.

12. Can you ice skate?
Sure. I need new skates though, had to toss my old ones last year.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Not really... sad isn't it...

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Slowing down. Enjoying the smells and sounds and lights. Appreciating family.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Any cookies I've baked.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Visiting graves. It’s a Finnish tradition to visit graves to place candles on Christmas Eve. I can’t tell you how beautiful it is to have a huge cemetery lit with thousands of candles. It’s something I like to do by myself most years. Just to find that quiet time amidst all the “noise” of the day. If we are at home on Christmas Eve, I drive there after 8pm, after we’ve eaten Christmas dinner and Santa has brought gifts. Just me, candles and matches.

17. What tops your tree?
A star.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving gifts?
Giving.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Oh come all ye faithful

20. Candy Canes on the tree?
Not a one. However you'll find them in with my hot chocolate.

In a holiday mood, I'm not officially tagging anyone.
But if you feel like you'd like to answer these, go ahead.
Have a ball!
Glass ball...
ornament...
boxes of them...

...somebody stop me....

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:42 PM

    of my year in Finland...it was number 16 that stayed with me the most. There's no good way to describe it - you have to experience it. I wish we did that here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:29 AM

    i think i need to steal this for my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)