Sunday, August 21, 2011

Collage Middle Earth style.. kinda :)

At work I had the kids start on tissue paper collages on canvas this past week.. I love watching them really getting into it.
Personally paper is my favorite medium.. so naturally I grabbed a canvas of my own and just started laying on tissue paper that was nearest.

After a while I began seeing something emerge.. quite by accident..
Or maybe because I had just watched "Lord of the Rings: Two Towers" and had Middle Earth in mind :D

I just had to add Sauron's eye in between those black peaks.
Welcome to Mordor...




Last night I grabbed a bigger canvas at home and started cutting up some maps I had found in my Mom's stash. There's bits of London, Vienna, Hamburg, San Diego, New Zealand, Switzerland, the Arctic Ocean, the Alps and Copenhagen on there.


After the decoupage I added paint washes and a quote from Lord of the Rings.





As a final step I glazed it and then squirted extra glaze that I just let dribble down.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, mahtava idea tuo karttapohjainen!
    Paljon kivempi kuin ne muut missä vain lukee jotain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two fab canvas pieces.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hih, nämä saivat kyllä hymyn huulille. :) Ihania! Minunkin ajatukseni ovat vielä Keski-Maassa leffojen jäljiltä...

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)