Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Blast from the past

You know that one storage closet you hate going to?
The one hidden in the basement.
I had to go into mine today.

It looked pretty bad as Saara had gotten some fabrics out of there yesterday and sort of just jammed everything back in...
This is the place that has all the stuff waiting for a fleamarket, Saara's clothes stored for Niina, skates, fabrics, decorations... you name it, it's here.
Yes, my Christmas decorations are under all that.
More on those on Friday :o)

I wanted to show you a few things I have stored away.
Pieces of my childhood.

Like my very first toy.

Yes, some babies get rattles.
Or teddy bears.
I got a train set.
It's gone through a lot in the past 37 years.
The engine has seen better days.

I can mostly blame my brother.
He buried the engine in the sandbox and we found it two years later. He must have been 4 or 5 back then (he's now 28). The engine still has sand in it...
And we've lost the key. Yes, a wind-up train!
This is very special to me.
It is the only present my grandfather ever had the chance to buy for me. I was his first grandchild. He died of a heart attack just two months after I was born.

Did you have anything like these?

Oh man.. I was the envy of the neighborhood in the very early 80's.
My dad brought these from London.

This was also from overseas.

The xbox of my generation, heh.
Mickey needed to catch eggs into his basket.
I should get some new batteries for it and see if it still works!

And talk about nostalgia.
My first school bag.

The handle has broken and it's all dirty, but I can't part with it.
And look, I still have the same address!

How freaky is that.
(ok, so I airbrushed it a bit... safety you know)

Now what do I keep inside my bag these days?

I made this pair during our Michigan stint.
Mika doesn't care for a country style decor (I'd love to mix the modern and country) so these wait for their time. Maybe one day I'll have a summer cottage they could reside at.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:33 PM

    that is cool! how sentimental. it is great that you've kept these things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the toys from your past. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:19 PM

    Ihania aarteita, mullakin oli samanmallinen koululaukku aikoinaan, mutta ei enää tallessa...

    ReplyDelete

Oh do tell :)