Thursday, July 01, 2010

Day 1- Paris

Tuesday afternoon we arrived in Paris. Our hotel was just a 5 minute walk from Trocadero which offers a great view of the Eiffel Tower.


We quickly unpacked and headed towards Trocadero and some food.. the airplane tuna pasta salad wasn't all that good..


Instead some of the softest chicken I've ever eaten.. yummm...
We couldn't walk straight through, policemen waving us the other way, so around we went, wondering why..
Got around the building and caught our first glance :)


Also figured out why the diversion.. the World Cup football. Huge screen and France playing against the hosting South Africa.


Sadly France lost that game and was out of the cup.. main news on every single news channel that night. Football is a big thing in France.

There were smaller Eiffel towers everywhere.


Wow.


A quick glance to the river Seine..


..and then looking back up.

Hmmm.. I still think it looks like it's been built from meccano toys :)
Well...18,038 pieces of iron and two and a half million rivets anyway...

The Eiffel Tower was originally built to be a entry archway to the 1889 World fair, it was supposed to be temporary.
It is 324 meters tall and I must say quite impressive seen live.



(Saara took this pic)

We continued walking on along the Seine.


Loved the rooftop gardens.


..it was windy and we walked for quite a while.. LOL!

We crossed the river along the Pont Alexander III, gorgeous bridge.




More prettiness.
Every building has so many amazing details.


We turned left and while wondering on what street we were on, we came across this cute parisian.


(the Finns reading this will get a giggle out of this restaurant name)

By this time I had realized we were indeed walking on the Champs-Élysées.

A cool detail in the Disney store.

Crossing the avenue saw the Arc de Triomphe.


We crossed the street for this.


Apparently you are not allowed to take photos inside, but I had no clue. And nobody told me to put my camera away. Lucky me.



Amazing pastries is what you'll find inside.




We picked up a little something for later.
The Louis Vuitton store had a line outside, not that I wanted to go inside. I'm not keen on overpriced luggage with someone else's initials all over them.
But the window was beautiful.


Did I mention every building was beautiful?


See, that sounds just so much better than "Subway".


I've never seen so many Smart cars and scooters, crazy traffic and even crazier parking. Or as many men in suits in the metro, or scooters. My favorite was a guy in a very smart suit on a black scooter wearing a pink Hello Kitty helmet :D


Is this a weird key or what?


So what did we pick up?


..mmm.. macaroons...
Now to edit some more photos... :)
Our Disnelyland day next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh do tell :)