Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Modern times
This is Saara and her friend Olivia, just moments ago, text messaging.
Some background info is needed here-
On Dec 2nd the mayor of the city of Helsinki holds an Independence Day (ours is Dec 6th) Ball for all the 4th graders of Helsinki. They have been practicing dances at school for weeks now, they'll get juice served in champagne glasses and finger foods at the ball. And they get to dance to a popular Finnish pop personality (we don't know who it will be this year).
This is a BIG DEAL.
We have already bought a new dress (black velvet, very cute!), new jewelry, still need shoes and there is the entire hair issue still to resolve.
And in the photo above, the girls are asking a couple boys to the dance. Ooohhh... the anticipation...
Although asking via a text message makes it all too easy. No nervous stuttering or wondering when is the ideal moment when nobody can see you do it.
I'll fill you in when I know more.
-sock clips-
Now about those handy clips I talked about yesterday. They are a Finnish invention and I don't know if they are sold abroad at all. I had my conversion a bit off yesterday, I meant to say 5 euros, not dollars. A pack of 15 costs about 5,50 euros, and that would be roughly$6.50. Postage would most likely be $3.80. Color combos are red, blue & yellow and white, black & green.
If you are interested let me know! You can email me at susanna.tunturi@dlc.fi :o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

oooooooh, sounds so exciting!!!
ReplyDeleteLove the techno shot! Great pic!
ReplyDeletegreat shot!! makes me lonesome AGAIN but great shot. you know...I think I just need to start thinking positively that I WILL get to Finland again someday rather than just whining about being lonely. darn that it costs so much. *sigh*
ReplyDeleteThe information age-wow asking for a dance date that way sounds so much easier than how we had to do it. What a cool country tradition. TFS.
ReplyDeleteThis is very scary to me considering my son in not much younger than this.....yikes, how did I get so old?? :0)
ReplyDeleteI agree...what a great shot of today's technology. Very cute.
ReplyDeleteOh! I hope they have fun! Cute photo!
ReplyDeletethe dance sounds so fun. I'm giggling over the girls text messaging for their dates. too cute.
ReplyDeletethis photo will be a classic years from now...how we communicated with each other in '05. it's a great story...begging to be scrapped :)
ReplyDeletecan't wait to hear an update! the nervous tension rises...
ReplyDeleteLOVE this!! Too too cute! So, you have to let us know if the boys accepted (I'm thinking of course they did with those two cuties who could say no!!!!) - super photo once again! (I'll be emailing you for details on those sock clips - love that concept!!!)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun memory this will be in years to come! Great pic!
ReplyDeleteSophia
Really cute picture!!! So sweet of you to offer Finnish sock clips to everyone. :o)
ReplyDeleteit is funny - my sis and her fiance talk more via text messaging than in person - they both work a lot and are so busy
ReplyDeletecute photo - sounds like the girls will have lots of fun!
That'll make a great lo. wonderful photo.
ReplyDelete