1.Sentimentality or vulgar, often pretentious bad taste, especially in the arts: "When money tries to buy beauty it tends to purchase a kind of courteous kitsch" (William H. Gass).
2.An example or examples of kitsch.
What is the ultimate example of Eurokitsch?
The Eurovision Song Contest.
This is something I have watched every May since I was a kid. Mostly because it is just sooo bad. You know.. like an accident waiting to happen... you just can't turn your head away...
3 minute songs that make you wonder what really makes the Ukrainians tick (cute boots though)? Or why oh why is Carola (of Sweden) obsessed with wind machines? Just who choreographed the Armenians (I'm guessing someone into bondage...)? And what designer had a nervous breakdown dressing the Polish (I'm not even touching the green and silver hair...)?
All in all good fun. And so KITSCH.
You need a bottle of wine and a open mind to watch this event.
For us Finns it has become a national trauma not to have placed better than #6 (back in the 70's). We have sent in songs that make you want to throw yourself in front of a car, they were so bad. Songs so bad you shook your head in wonder when the Swedes gave us the : Finland, one point. Finlande, une point. I think I would have preferred the zero... lol.
So this year... makes an exception.
BIG exception.
The Finns decided to kick some Eurovision ass.
We sent in the hard-monster-rock-scare-old-grannies-silly-band Lordi.
Singing Hard Rock Hallelujah!
These guys (and one gal) look like orks escaped from the Lord of the Rings film set...
They are publicly never seen without their masks.

Yesterday was the semifinal.
And we got into the final.
Too cool!
Then it's time for the most talked-about entry in this year's contest: Lordi, the hard rock monsters from Finland. Wearing platform shoes that must be 12 inches high, lead singer Lordi growls out 'Hard Rock Hallelujah' in front of a stunning display of pyrotechnics- this isn't just a few sparks; we're talking huge jets of fire. Huge bat wings unfurl from Lordi's back and by the end the now-smoke-filled arena is stunned. Terrifying but brilliant.
They have gotten so much publicity out of this. Very clever move of the band.
And they are the protest vote. The song to vote for to change the contest from kitschy eurodisco/ballads to music that people actually listen to more than once.
I hate to say this...but... they might just pull it off.
And there are more possibilities in the air for this weekend.
A hat trick.
Winning the Eurovision Song Contest.
Winning the World Championship Hockey tournament (preferably against the swedes, ha!) However we first have to beat the Chzechs tomorrow.
Aki Kaurismaki winning the main prize at the Cannes Film Festival.
Oh it's nice to dream... lol...
PS. if is hasn't been obvious, the green parts of the text are links.
I had no idea.. HOW COOL!!!
ReplyDeleteI hope they win.
Keep us posted!